Thank you for your interest in our club and muskie fishing. We are local chapter #28 of Muskies Inc. and our home-water is Kinkaid Lake in beautiful southern Illinois, near Murphysboro. We hope you find the information you need to have a great fishing trip or to become a member. If not, please contact us with your request or for additional information.
To: Local High School Principals, Athletic Directors and Fishing Coaches:
The Shawnee Muskie Hunters Chapter of Muskies, Inc. would like to offer your students an opportunity to experience something that is probably new. Several schools in the area have bass fishing teams competing with other schools in the state of Illinois. We are introducing an opportunity this fall to participate in a local muskie fishing event on Kinkaid Lake, just west of Murphysboro.
We have received confirmation from Kurt J. Gibson, Associate Executive Director, IHSA that fishing in a muskie fishing event will not cause any eligibility issues if the same students are currently involved in a sanctioned bass program that IHSA supports.
WHEN: Columbus Day, Monday, October 13, 2014,
WHERE: Kinkaid Lake (starting at the main boat launch area by the marina)
SCHOOL REGISTRATION DEADLINE (updated): Monday, September 15, 2014 Tuesday, September 30, 2014
RULES AND REGULATIONS:
· 1 or 2 participating teams per school. No entry fee.
· Participants must currently be in grades 9-12.
· Each team will be comprised of 2 participants and one adult.
· Student teams will provide their own boats and make sure that they are safe to be on the water. An adult must drive the boat and is not allowed to fish.
· All persons in the boat must wear a coast guard approved life jacket the entire time they are on the water. Protective eye wear is mandated for all participants in the boat, including the driver. All boats must go through a safety check prior to the start of the tournament.
· All fish are to be measured, photographed and released.
· The team with the most muskie, in total inches, will be the winner.
· If no muskies are caught, the largest bass will qualify as the winning fish.
· Fishing only allowed by casting with artificial bait. This is a catch and release event.
· All participants agree to behave appropriately, respectfully and comply with all ILDNR rules.
· All students and their families assume all legal and financial responsibilities for their participation.
· The winning high school team will be given a trophy for their school.
CONTACT FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Jim Beaty, Shawnee Muskie Hunters Chapter of Muskies, Inc.
Attached are the Kinkaid-Reed's Creek Conservancy District Committee Meeting Notes. The last page includes interesting information on the trap netting results from 2014. Conservancy Committee Meeting Minutes
Please find attached the KAWP Membership Form.